How long does a short sale take in Utah?
Short sale timelines in Utah may vary depending on 8 things.
1. How many leans are on the property including mortgages, HOA liens, judgments and tax liens etc.
2. Who is servicing the loans Chase, BOA, Wells, Aurora, etc.
3. Who the investor holding the loan is, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac etc.
4. If the short sale requires the approval of a PMI company, some are better to work with than others.
5. If the loan servicer has delegated authority to approve the short sale on behalf of the investor or if they will have to send it out for approval.
6. The performance of the buyer closing once the sale is approved.
7. The cooperation of the seller providing the necessary paperwork in a timely manner.
8. Who is negotiating and processing the paperwork and how they are handling the sale. (The agent, attorney or 3rd party negotiator)
Those things considered, you will have an idea of how long a short sale will take from the milestones that will take place below. Most of your average short sales will take between 2 and 6 months. Ideally you can get them done between 2 and 4 months. *95% of the short sales I have worked on are approved and close within 3 to 4 months after being submitted to the lender! (That is significantly higher than the national average) In fact the best statistics that I could find show that only somewhere between *8%and *15% of short sales initiated are actually completed at all. My average is significantly higher. The time line below shows a 90 to 120 day short sale. 30 to 60 days to assign a loss mitigator, 30 days for BPO’s and approvals and 30 days for the buyer to close.
If you are a home seller and want to short sell your house, it is important that you work with someone who has the experience working with lenders. Don’t make the mistake of thinking just any agent can complete a short sale and settle your debt.
If you are a short sale buyer and are interested in writing offers on short sales you need to work with an experienced short sale agent who can help you pre-qualify each short sale deal by telling you exactly where it is at in the short sale/foreclosure process, how many liens are on the property and how good each lender is to work with.
For an estimate of time based you your specific situation with your lenders please contact me.